So, the issue with the hard drive wasn’t too bad after all. The only loss is a part of my source control (git). This barbaric term describes a program that keep track of all the changes I make in the source code and which usually come with the ability to compare files with their older versions, track changelog, restore previous versions and so on. Loosing part of it isn’t really a problem except that it makes writing this article a bit more difficult. While I do keep the changelog file up to date separately, changes are written in no particular order, so I may be a bit fuzzy on the things I added between the last devlog and the last 3 days.
Anyway, there’s still plenty to discuss so let’s get to it, shall we 🙂
This is going to be a difficult article to write as I am watching the Awesome Games Done Quick event (a week long speed running live feed against cancer) too, and I am much worst at multitasking than the programs I write. Anyway, there’s quite a lot of ground to cover despite having taken a week off.
Let’s start with what the screenshots are showing : the new nebulae (and background). As I quickly explained in the previous quick post, I am using a procedural generation algorithm commonly known as Perlin Noise to produce the clouds. Basically, you enter a few numbers, and it produces an unique cloud and that can be tiled easily. It has other uses that I will explain further down.
This is going to be the last devlog of this year. It’s unlikely I will code enough to warrant a new post between Christmas and the New Year’s Eve. It has been a very rough year for me and my family and I couldn’t put as much time in Unending Galaxy as I wanted to. Still, I am still pretty happy with how things are going.
Barring any unexpected massive issue, Beta 2 should be available shortly after the next devlog in early January.
Anyway, let’s get to what has been done this week 🙂
First of all, thanks to iski19 for his donation, you will receive a mail shortly.
Now, let’s get to what has been done during last week. As expected, it’s mostly about the pirate faction, and especially about individual pirate base AI. There has been a follow up on the changes I implemented last week, regarding ship movements, too. Oh, and while at it, I added a dynamic pause button, so you can issue commands while the game is paused. And I replaced a few sprites, added new pirate vessels, and began changing ship flight stats to accommodate the new physics.